Co-Branded and Affinity Cards in the U.S., 7th Edition
Special offer: now 10% off original full report price
Co-branded credit cards remain integral to issuers and retail partners alike: Packaged Facts estimates that, in 2018, co-branded credit cards generated $990 billion in purchase value, up an average of 7.9% from 2016. Travel and entertainment brands continue to dominate spending share, thanks to their high-spending affluent users. Co-branded card and loyalty programs increasingly serve as profit drivers for airlines—no surprise given the leverage industry consolidation and the treasure trove of customer information they can share with issuers keen to cross-sell products and services. The stakes are high: At American Airlines alone, some $3.1 billion in program miles were earned in 2018, while $3.4 billion in miles were redeemed.
Yet retailer co-branded credit card purchase value grew at the fastest annual rate travel and entertainment co-brands. Costco AnyWhere Visa performance has helped lift the entire segment, surpassing $100 billion in purchase value in 2018 while helping issuing partner Citibank build loans—an uncommon task for a co-branded card program that has begun to pay off. Meanwhile the rewards train continues to gather steam, as consumers continue to convert their non-rewards cards an assortment of rewards-based options. Ironically, while rewards are important to co-branded credit card users, they don’t trump the fundamentals: Attributes such as 100% fraud protection and great customer service rate higher.
Co-Branded and Affinity Credit Cards in the U.S., 7th Edition, provides a wealth of insight on this hugely important segment of the payments industry. More specifically, the report:
- Provides a 2016-2018 market size for U.S. general-purpose credit cards and co-branded credit card purchase value, segmented by retailer, airline, and hotel-branded cards.
- Provides 2016-2018 purchase value estimates for the top 10 U.S. co-branded credit card programs.
- Identifies and segments the number of co-branded card programs and program partners by network, issuer, and partnership segment.
- Provides market segment analysis for co-branded airline credit cards, including partnership changes; loyalty program usage trends; survey analysis focusing on the relationships among frequent flyer membership, frequent flyer redemption, frequent fliers, co-branded airline credit card usage and demographics; co-branded credit card and loyalty program profiles for Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, and United Airlines, including loyalty program and co-branded credit card program revenue analysis, card purchase value and loans outstanding trends, and program-related trends; and co-branded card program and program partner counts by network and issuer.
- Provides market segment analysis for co-branded hotel credit cards, including partnership changes and loyalty program usage trends; survey analysis focusing on the relationships among loyalty membership, program redemption, frequent hotel users, co-branded hotel credit card usage and demographics; a co-branded credit card and loyalty program profile for Marriott International, including loyalty program and co-branded credit card program revenue analysis, and program-related trends; card purchase value trends; and co-branded card program and program partner counts by network and issuer.
- Provides market segment analysis for co-branded retailer cards, including co-branded card program and program partner counts by network and issuer; co-branded credit card profiles for Costco, Sam’s Club, and BJ’s Wholesale Club, including program-related trends; card purchase value trends, co-branded card program and program partner counts by network and issuer; and demographic analysis.
- Analyzes trends in credit card usage, usage engagement, and usage share by card network over time, focusing on age and HH income trends; and trends rewards vs. non-rewards, co-branded airline and co-branded hotel credit usage trends over time, focusing on HH income trends.
- Identifies the types of co-branded and affinity credit cards used, including engagement analysis and demographic analysis by co-branded and affinity credit card category.
- Assesses the degree a range of features and benefits influence credit card users and co-branded credit card users to sign up for a co-branded credit card, including perks, discounts, rewards fees, interest, financing, and other card benefits.
- Analyzes trends in rewards credit card usage, by type of reward; and assesses rewards preferences among co-branded credit card users.
Search for an exact word or phrase by placing the word or phrase in quotation marks ("market trend"). Search for different versions or tenses of a word by placing an asterisk at the end of the word (pharma*).
Please note that your term must be at least three characters long and numbers will be blocked by the # sign.