In Dog-Dominant Pet Oral Care Market, Cats are Clawing Out a Niche

Press Release
Jul 18, 2018
Rockville (MD), July 18, 2018 — Regarding sales of pet oral care services and products, canines are the market’s top dog. Pet Oral Care Services and Products in the U.S., 3rd Edition , a new report by market research firm Packaged Facts, estimates that dogs account for 85% of retail sales in the multi-billion pet oral care product market, with cats making up the remaining 15%. Similarly, dogs make up the majority of oral care/dental hygiene services, accounting for 74% of the market, with cats making up the remaining 26%.

As a result, cat-focused oral care products are vastly outnumbered on store shelves when compared to products for dogs. Yet despite the dominance of dogs, cat-specific oral care products represent an increasingly profitable market opportunity.

According to Packaged Facts, cat-owning households in the U.S. number approximately 30 million, yet oral care products for felines is noticeably underserved. Marketers looking to enter the pet oral care market or extend their offerings would therefore do well to focus on felines. Because cats are not as prone to chewing action as dogs, cat-focused oral care products need to be easy for both cat and owner to use while also appealing to cats’ notoriously finicky nature. Overcoming these obstacles would allow marketers to participate in what has up until now been a largely neglected segment of the oral care market, notes David Sprinkle, research director for Packaged Facts.

“For the most part, pet oral care products such as dental chews and treats target canines, with many marketers offering only dog-focused products. However, as the cat population in the U.S. continues to grow, and with dental hygiene being just as important for felines, marketers of dental care treats and chews would do well to consider this opportunity,” says Sprinkle. The “pets as family” trend is only deepening growth opportunities for more oral care products for cats. Just as pet owners know that caring for their own dental health is important from an overall wellness standpoint, they are now realizing that the same holds true for their furry companions. Oral care is part of most people’s daily routine, and veterinarians, pet product retailers, oral care marketers, and even mainstream media outlets are trying to make it part of a pet’s as well. Presently, periodontal disease is the most common clinical condition occurring in adult dogs and cats.

Find out more and purchase the report, Pet Oral Care Services and Products in the U.S., 3rd Edition at: https://www.packagedfacts.com/updates/pet-oral-care-services-products.

About the Report

Pet Oral Care Services and Products in the U.S., 3rd Edition examines the U.S. market for oral care service and products for dogs and cats. The report focuses on products whose primary market positioning is oral care or dental health, such as teeth cleaning, gum massage, and breath freshening, including biscuits/treats, food, chew toys, toothbrushes and toothpaste, and breath supplements.

The report provides both historical and projected market size and growth for both services and products (2012, 2017, 2022); examines new product activity; surveys retail channel trends; analyzes trends and shifts in the overall pet market impacting the oral care market; examines oral care services practices and providers; and tabulates pet oral care product sales by channel. Supplementing Packaged Facts’ exclusive Survey of Pet Owners is an analysis of Simmons’ National Consumer Study, which is based on approximately 25,000 adult respondents surveyed annually. The report contains dozens of numerical tables and charts, as well as many photographs of new products, examples of advertising, Web page screen shots, and other images across key channels.

View additional information about Pet Oral Care Services and Products in the U.S., 3rd Edition, including purchase options, the abstract, table of contents, and related reports at Packaged Facts’ website: https://www.packagedfacts.com/pet-products-services-c124/.

About Packaged Facts

Packaged Facts, a division of MarketResearch.com, publishes market intelligence on a wide range of consumer market topics, including consumer demographics and shopper insights, consumer financial products and services, consumer goods and retailing, and pet products and services. Packaged Facts also offers a full range of custom research services. Reports can be purchased at our company website and are also available through MarketResearch.com.

For more essential insights from Packaged Facts be sure to follow us on Twitter and Google+. Please link any media references to our reports or data to https://www.packagedfacts.com/.

800.298.5294
Int'l: +1.240.747.3095
Questions?
Contact a research specialist >

Live Chat Software
Privacy Policy    |    Terms and Conditions    |    Site Map    |    Return Policy    |    Press    |    Help FAQs
Home About Us My Account Personal Library Contact Us
Copyright © 2020 MarketResearch.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Packaged Facts - A division of Market Research Group, LLC
8/5/2020 - 141
Contact Us: 800.298.5294 (U.S.)
or +1.240.747.3095 (Int'l)
Hours: Monday - Thursday: 3:00am - 6:30pm EST
Fridays: 3:00am - 5:30pm EST