Table of Contents
- Executive Overview
- Why Fats & Oils?
- - Kimberly Egan
- Trend Summary
- Stage 1 - Ghee
- - Rice Bran Oil
- - Lard &Schmaltz
- Stage 2 - Duck Fat
- - Coconut Oil
- Stage 3 - Nut & Seed Oils
- Stage 5 - Margarine & Spreads
With this paradigm shift around fat metabolism and influx of new culinary products, it is the ideal time to take a closer look at the types of fat used in existing products and menu items and assess them for possible nutritional overhauls, flavor upgrades, and even recipe tweaks that could add to authenticity.
Fats and Oils: Culinary Trend Mapping Report by Packaged Facts and the Center for Culinary Development (CCD) is designed to help participants in the food industry seize a leading position and give consumers a new perspective on the fats and oils in foods via innovative products. Buyers will find three overarching consumer trends—Health and Wellness, Flavor Boosting and Authenticity—driving the individual culinary trends featured in Fats and Oils: Culinary Trend Mapping Report.
• • • • •
The Culinary Trend Mapping Report is an indispensable tool for those whose job it is to stay abreast of what's hot—and what will be—in the food world.
The reports leverage the Center for Culinary Development’s (CCD) signature Trend Mapping technique, a validated method for identifying which culinary trends are gaining traction and which are simply flashes in the pan.
Each 65+ page journal is packed with trends, data, strategies and insights on the food industry that simply aren't available anywhere else.
Each Issue of the Culinary Trends Mapping Report
- Identifies the maturity level of foods and ingredients according to CCD’s unique, proprietary 5-stage trend mapping process.
- Concentrates on a theme that is affecting the food industry, and then looks at the emerging and established trends along the Trend Map that are shaping this theme.
- Delves into these trends and what they mean for you and the manufacturing, retailing, and foodservice industries.
- Gives strategic insight into how consumers are thinking of and reacting to new foods and ingredients.
- Provides business know-how regarding opportunities, challenges, and ways to implement current trends into foodservice, retail, and packaged goods operations.
- Presents a feature interview with a member chef from CCD’s exclusive 80+ member Chefs’ Council who offers expert analysis and unique perspective on a specific trend.
Trend Mapping is guided by the premise that major food trends pass through five distinct stages on their way to the mainstream:
- Stage 1: The ingredient, dish and/or cooking technique appears at upscale dining establishments, ethnic and popular independent restaurants.
- Stage 2: The item is featured in specialty consumer-oriented food magazines such as Bon Appetit plus retail stores such as Sur La Table that target culinary professionals and serious home cooks.
- Stage 3: The item begins to appear in mainstream chain restaurants—Applebee's or Chili's—as well as retail stores such as Williams-Sonoma that target recreational cooks.
- Stage 4: Publications such as Family Circle and Better Homes and Gardens pick up the buzz.
- Stage 5: Finally, the trend makes its way to quick service restaurant menus and either starts to appear or gains increased mainstream presence on grocery store shelves.
Published every other month, the Culinary Trend Mapping Report is available for purchase as a single issue or a six-issue subscription.
Get full details about this report