Special offer: now 20% off original price of $8,995
Almost all major food companies, as well as many regional and local manufacturers, are pumping up their products with fiber in order to help Americans consume the recommended daily intake of 25 to 30 grams. Without help from fiber-fortified foods and beverages, most Americans only consume about half the amount suggested for optimal health. In the past decade, numerous fiber ingredient suppliers have surfaced in the United States, making the category very competitive.
Packaged Facts conducted an extensive analysis of the many facets of the fiber food ingredients market, enabling Packaged Facts to estimate share of volume sales for specific fiber food ingredients in the year 2004. Packaged Facts used 2004 as the base year from which to estimate growth in volume sales and provide projections until 2014. This data are not for actual volumes sold and used in product applications, rather the data show annual increases in volume, as well as changing market share for specific fiber food ingredients for the 10-year period from 2004 to 2014. Data to determine the baseline year (2004), as well as estimations up to 2009 and projections through 2014 were obtained from an extensive analysis of suppliers, the retail market and consumers.
This report looks at the fiber-fortified food and beverage category from two angles. The primary focus is on available fiber ingredients and the suppliers that provide them to the consumables industry. In addition, the report explores the finished products in the marketplace and the Americans that purchase them. The report provides insight to the types of fiber and their proven benefit; the companies that supply the ingredients, including a competitive analysis by fiber type and application; marketplace success stories; consumer understanding of the category as well as use of fiber-fortified products and more.
Market Insights: A Selection From The Report
A Booming Business
The fiber-enriched food and beverage market is in its infancy, and hence, many ingredient suppliers are attracted to marketing fiber food ingredients. In the 1990s, there were likely less than 20 suppliers of fiber food ingredients, and most of them were marketing conventional, insoluble-type fibers. In 2010, there are more than 50 companies supplying fiber food ingredients to U.S. food formulators. They range from being global public companies that offer all types of ingredients, and sometimes even supply fiber to non-food companies, to smaller, privately owned businesses that focus only on fiber food ingredients. Some companies include research divisions and have dedicated scientists that study their proprietary, and often patented, branded fiber food ingredients in production and clinical settings. Other companies sell commodity, unbranded fibers.
All Fiber Food Ingredients Are Experiencing Growth
Packaged Facts determined that sales of all fiber food ingredients will continue to increase indefinitely, as the market for fiber-enhanced foods is still in its infancy. There is a great deal of room for growth across almost all food categories, which presents an opportunity for the many different fiber food ingredients currently available to formulators. However, some fiber food ingredients will grow at a faster rate for reasons ranging from “being a more compatible ingredient to many applications” to “being a new player in the marketplace and one that has gained the attention of large food manufacturers.”
Conventional, Insoluble-Type Fibers Lead in Market Share
Packaged Facts estimates that in 2004, 91% of all fiber food ingredient sales were of conventional, insoluble-type fibers. The remaining 9% share was split evenly between conventional, soluble-type fibers and emerging, novel fibers.
Projected growth rates for these three categories indicate a major shift in market share by 2014. Remember, volume sales for all fiber food ingredients are projected to increase, just some more than others.
Share for conventional, insoluble-type fibers, the fiber food ingredients that have historically been used the most in food formulations, will decrease by...
Novel Fibers Show the Greatest Growth Rate
Growth of novel fiber food ingredients, which showed the greatest CAGR (65.6%) for the five-year period from 2005 to 2009, was driven by polydextrose (CAGR=54.6%). Though available to the food formulating industry for more than 25 years, it was in 2007 that polydextrose was approved for use as an ingredient in an extensive array of foods and beverages. This resulted in a boom in use by formulators, as polydextrose is a multi-functional, versatile and inexpensive fiber food ingredient. Both chicory root/inulin (CAGR=42.3%) and fructooligosachharide (FOS)/fructan (CAGR=35.7%) continue to drive innovation in the fiber-enriched food marketplace. Though CAGRs for the period from 2005 to 2009 are not available for fiber food ingredients introduced during this time frame (e.g., galactooligosaccharide (GOS), resistant starch and soluble corn fiber/resistant corn dextrin), they all doubled and some even tripled in volume sales once they were introduced to the marketplace. (See Figure 4-2 and Table 4-2.)
In the News
Active Market for Fiber-Fortified Food and Beverages Reaches Consumers through Product Innovation, Finds Opportunities for Growth
New York, September 9, 2010 — With most Americans consuming only about half the recommended amount of 25 to 30 grams of fiber daily, major food companies and other industry players are introducing waves of new fiber-fortified food and beverage products, according to Fiber Food Ingredients in the U.S.: Soluble-, Insoluble- and Digestive-Resistant Types by market research publisher Packaged Facts. Coinciding with the increased activity in the highly competitive category are numerous growth opportunities that will also create shifts in the types of fiber ingredients utilized in future products.
“Packaged Facts determined that sales of all fiber food ingredients (i.e., conventional, insoluble-type fibers; conventional, soluble-type fibers; and novel fiber food ingredients) will continue to increase indefinitely, as the market for fiber-enhanced foods is still in its infancy,” says Don Montuori, publisher of Packaged Facts. “There is a great deal of room for growth across almost all food categories, which presents an opportunity for the many different fiber ingredients that are among the most popular with today’s food formulators.”
In particular, formulators are embracing novel fibers—most of which have only been available to formulators since the turn-of-the-century or for an even shorter period of time. Novel fibers have gained the attention of formulators due to their versatility and invisible nature in food applications that previously were not conducive to fiber enrichment. This, along with the desire of food manufacturers to increase the soluble fiber content of foods, has Packaged Facts predicting that the novel fiber food ingredient category will increase its share of the market by more than 750%, jumping 35 percentage points from an almost 5% share in 2004 to a 39% share in 2014.
Packaged Facts estimates that in 2004, 91% of all fiber food ingredient sales were of conventional, insoluble-type fibers—the fiber food ingredients that have historically been used the most in food formulations. The remaining 9% share was split evenly between conventional, soluble-type fibers and emerging, novel fibers. Future projections are that the share for conventional, insoluble-type fibers will decrease by 41%, or 38 percentage points in 2014, while the share for the mostly new or newly refined conventional, soluble-type fibers will increase 64%, or almost 3 percentage points.
Fiber Food Ingredients in the U.S.: Soluble-, Insoluble- and Digestive-Resistant Types examines the fiber-fortified food and beverage category from two angles. The primary focus is on available fiber ingredients and the suppliers that provide them to the consumables industry. Also explored are the finished products in the marketplace and the Americans that purchase them. Further, the report provides insight to the types of fiber and their proven benefit; the companies that supply the ingredients, including a competitive analysis by fiber type and application; marketplace success stories; consumer understanding of the category as well as use of fiber-fortified products and more.
About Packaged Facts - Packaged Facts, a division of MarketResearch.com, publishes market intelligence on a wide range of consumer market topics, including consumer goods and retailing, foods and beverages, demographics, pet products and services, and financial products. Packaged Facts also offers a full range of custom research services.
Related Reports:Online Food Shopping and Grocery Delivery in the U.S.: Future of Food Retailing
Oct 3, 2014 - LA5239123 - $2,500.00
Private Label Foods & Beverages in the U.S., 8th Edition
Sep 3, 2014 - LA5226056 - $3,995.00
Weight Management: U.S. Consumer Mindsets
Aug 28, 2014 - LA5318887 - $3,500.00
Natural and Organic Foods and Beverages in the U.S., 4th Edition
Jul 16, 2014 - LA5192144 - $3,995.00
Hispanic Food Shoppers in the U.S.
Jun 30, 2014 - LA5279402 - $3,500.00
Proteins - Classic, Alternative and Exotic Sources: Culinary Trend Tracking Series
Jun 16, 2014 - LA5227327 - $3,300.00
Food Gifting in the U.S., 4th Edition
May 29, 2014 - LA5251521 - $3,995.00
Cold and Hot Breakfast Cereals in the U.S.
Feb 27, 2014 - LA5209730 - $3,300.00
The Kids Food and Beverage Market in the U.S., 7th Edition
Jan 2, 2014 - LA5113975 - $3,995.00
Packaged Breakfast Baked Goods: U.S. Market Trends
Dec 3, 2013 - LA5158858 - $2,000.00
Questions?Contact a research specialist >
Most Popular ResearchAmericans in 2020 The African-American Consumer Market, 9th Edition Hispanic Foods and Beverages in the U.S., 5th Edition Boomer Wellness: Culinary Trend Mapping Report Hispanic Food Shoppers in the U.S.